- 1 strip Bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 6 ounces Brussel Sprouts (2 big handfuls)
- Pinch Brown Sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf Parsley
1. Cook the bacon until crisp in a large skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
2. While the bacon is cooking, cut off the ends of the brussel sprouts, chop them in half. Lay them cut-side-down and finely chop until they are all shredded.
3. Add the garlic and shallots to the skillet and sauté until fragrant and the shallots are soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the Brussel sprouts and sauté until tender crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add a pinch of brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon juice. Sauté for 1 minute more. Toss with the chopped parsley and bacon.
5. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 4 medium Beets, scrubbed, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/3 cup chopped Walnuts
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 (10 ounce) package Mixed Baby Salad Greens
- 1/2 cup frozen Orange Juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 oz Goat Cheese
- Small can of Mandarin Orange segments, drained
1. Place beets into a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool and cut into cubes.
2. While the beets are cooking, place the walnuts in a skillet over medium-low heat.
3. Heat until warm and start to toast, and then stir in the maple syrup. Cook and stir until evenly coated, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make the dressing.
5. Place a large helping of baby greens onto each of four salad plates, divide candied walnuts equally and sprinkle over the greens. Place equal amounts of beets over the greens, and top with dabs of goat cheese and mandarin oranges. Drizzle each plate with some of the dressing.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
Calories 347 cal
Fat 26.1 g
Carbs 25 g